Thursday, June 5, 2008

Paranoid People Against Plastic Unite!

Hello All,

As some of you may know, my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. This is the first instance of any kind of cancer in my family (well except my grandfather developed colon cancer in his eighties...). Anyway, the scare of my sister's diagnosis has brought my recessive paranoia gene out of hiding.

I chucked out all my plastic containers, haven't had a pedicure since her diagnosis and think two and three times about what I put in and on my body. As those who know me will vouch, I have always been a kind of a health nut, but I have definitelybecome obssessive (see my earlier blog, Look Out for Flying Plastic).

I wanted to share with you some great information that Leslie at my gym shared with me. It is a website called www.cosmeticsdatabase.com and it is part of the Environmental Working Group. It is a fascinating website and rates all kinds of personal products for potentially dangerous chemicals, etc.

Also a tip that my friend Diane (also from the gym, where I seem to excercise my mouth as much as the rest of me!), is Anchor Hocking glass food storage containers. These have glass lids too! So no need to worry about heating up that plastic in the microwave (or dishwasher!)

Finally, a great article on general tips for safe food storage can be found at:http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s-5-83-1110,00.html

No comments: