Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Hidden Words in Our Marriage Vows


Last week was our fourteenth wedding anniversary. This week, I experienced computer problems again and, as usual, relied on my husband, tech support, to fix them. Which gave me pause to consider how some of the words in our wedding vows have taken on different meanings.
Thanks to my husband's packrat behavior, he was able to pinpoint where a copy of miscellaneous wedding things were in the house. Unfortunately, I couldn't find all of the vows and was not motivated enought to watch them again from the wedding video, however I did find his special vows.
Here is a portion of them:
"Donna , you are truly my special friend. I know that whenever I need someone to talk to, you are there to inspire me. And I will always be there to support and encourage you."
That was the theory behind the vows. Now, here is my take on the reality of those vows complete with hidden words in italics:
"Donna, you are truly my special needs (read: high maintenance) friend. I know that whenever I need someone to talk to, you are there to inspire me, as long as I make sure not to start any conversation between the hours of 9 pm and 7 am. And I will always be there to provide technical support in terms of computers, cameras, power equipment and motor vehicles and encourage you, except during school vacations, snow days and the seemingly unending school holidays, when you are on your own with our misbehaving spawn."

Too bad I can't find my special vows. Something tells me there would be some hidden words there too.

No comments: