Monday, June 23, 2008

But It Was A Bargain





Yesterday, I did a little spring cleaning while hunting for something in the craft area of my basement. I like getting organized, but I hate the guilt that often goes along with it. What guilt? The guilt from buying things I have never used and at this point probably never will.

Case in point, these cute blank invitations: They were really cheap at the card store’s local sidewalk sale, so how could I pass them up? At the time, it was a reasonable purchase, because my children were probably 5 and 3 years old. Now that they are 10 and 12, you can see why I feel a little guilty every time I run across these never used invites. There is absolutely no chance that either of my children would allow me to use these invitations for any party in their honor and I can’t blame them. Upon closer observations, they really were meant only for the below kindergarten age set.

While getting organized, I also ran across these great camping/western themed card shapes.

I have a distant memory of buying them thinking that they would make great gift tags. However, I didn’t stop to consider that the corrugation of the paper would make it impossible to write on them. I am proud to say however, that I remember using a few of these several years ago, to adorn a make your own picture frame. Somehow I never did get around to using the rest, and after moving three times until settling in this house, I have had three opportunities to save them thinking I will use them. Now my motto, begrudgingly, must be, when in doubt, throw them out (or recycle or donate them).

I also have no less than all twelve of these cute, make your own wind chimes from a set that I must have bought inexpensively about 7 years ago, which also have never been used. Way back when I bought them, I remember thinking they would make a great craft activity for one of my daughter’s birthday parties. Well, now that she herself is 12, I am older and wiser and have learned never to have 12 hormonal girls together, under my charge for the sake of a party where my daughter will get presents she does not need. I am still recovering from the sleep over with 8 girls two years ago. Of course, my daughter was the biggest problem on that night. She never did stop to consider that the dynamics of 9 girls altogether might mean that she would not be the center of attention all of the time. The theme song could have been "It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To."

So I have to ask myself with these relics from my retail therapeutic past, why did I do it? Even if the invitations were only two dollars, I probably should have taken two dollars out of my wallet and set them aflame right there and then. I still would have wasted two dollars, but then I wouldn’t be racked with all of the guilt. Guilt over wasting money on the invitations, guilt over never using them when I undoubtedly had forgotten I had them and went out and bought other invitations for seven dollars, year after year, times two kids, until the children had outgrown the invitations altogether. Guilt over what to do with the darn things now. After all is said and done, it would be a shame to throw them out, even to the recycling bin. So, I must think of to whom or what organization I can donate them.


It is all so stressful. I think I will put them back and have a think about where I can donate them while avoiding all sales racks and sidewalk sales for the summer as temporary penance. Hopefully by the time I figure out who can truly use them, I will remember where I put the invites, otherwise, they would be great for my grandchildren’s parties.

No comments: