Friday, June 6, 2008

Bikram Yoga

Okay, I will admit it. I am becoming a Bikram yoga junkie. I started going in January. Now, most people want no part of this form of yoga when they find out it is done in a room that is heated to 105 degrees. I on the other hand, was eager to sign on since I am almost always cold.

So I tried a few classes and, yes it was hot, even for me. At first it was something to get through, especially without getting nauseous. Then, on about my third or forth class, I really started enjoying it, and not just when it was over. I had done many other forms of yoga, but this was the first where I felt so energized afterwards. Other classes were energizing during the class to some extent, but after the relaxation portion, all I wanted to do was go to bed.

I find myself going regularly, about 2 or 3 times a week now and have definitely noticed improvements in my flexibility and energy level. I even read Bikram’s book (my friend who introduced me to Bikram yoga also lent me the book).

As I read the book and learned of all of the health benefits of each pose, I must admit, I grew more eager to start a regular practice. The skeptical side of me, however, keeps telling me to do it because I enjoy it, not because of any supposed health benefits.

When not espousing the health benefits of his yoga and putting down Western doctors, Bikram talks throughout his book about how he learned yoga through his guru. The whole long term health benefits part of the book kind of flew out the window for me when I read the part of the book where he talks about how his guru knew it was his time to die and went off to die, wait for it: at age 67! 67? Long term health benefits of Bikram yoga? I can’t help thinking that his editor must have been semiconscious when reviewing the book.

So I plod on, trying to do “toe stand” and other acrobatic feats in the 105 degree room. I figure I will enjoy myself and get energy. If I am lucky, I will even live past 67!

No comments: