Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Pelvic Paradise?

Last month, while reading the New York Times I ran across an article entitled "A Spa for Those Women Concerned About 'Pelvic Fitness' which appeared on July 3, 2008. Intrigued as to why one would put the word 'spa' and the word 'pelvic' in the same sentence, I read on.

It turns out that an enterprising young doctor, Dr. Romanzi, has decided to open a spa in Manhattan called Phit, which is a medispa "wholly dedicated to strengthening and grooming a woman's genital area." Yikes!

When I think of a day at the spa, that isn't exactly what I have in mind. In fact, the only 'p' word that comes to mind is 'pampering,' not 'pelvic.' Why call it a spa if that is what goes on there? Sure doesn't sound like much fun, to say nothing of relaxing and luxurious.

The spa is called Phit, which is short for pelvic health integrated techniques. I don't know about you, but when I am looking for integration in a spa, I am looking for things like integrating lunch into the price, not pelvic procedures.

If I needed to have a pelvic procedure, I would have it done in a doctor's office, insurance card at the ready. I wouldn't think that candycoating it by playing relaxing spa music and offering herbal teas would make it any less uncomfortable. If, on the other hand, I wanted a spa day, I would want the relaxing atmosphere, the cool new classes, the cushy robe, etc.

The cushy robe is really nice, but if you have to take it off to submit to a pelvic procedure, I think the whole relaxation thing kind of flies out the window. So, you won't see me checking into a spa for pelvic procedures any time soon.

Thankfully, I don't have any pelvic issues at the moment or maybe I just don't have the time to obssess about them as some women apparently do. The new field of genital beautification, yes, that is surgery to improve the looks of your genitals actually has a name-cosmetogynecology. Now, just a kind word from me to those women who think they need such services: hello, just leave the light off and save yourself some bucks and a lot of pain. If your still troubled with the way things look down there, stop looking down!

When I am next lucky enough to enjoy a spa day, you can find me either trying out the cool new classes or better yet, lounging by the pool with a stack of magazines and books, in a cushy robe that I won't surrender until the last possible minute of my stay.

No comments: