Thursday, May 22, 2008

Now You See It, Now You Don't

Among my many weaknesses when it comes to eating, is See’s Candies. If you don’t know See’s Candies, which come from California, consider yourself lucky and probably lighter than you would be if you “knew” them. I myself am partial to the Nuts & Chews assortment. Friends and enemies alike send them to me from time to time. Friends send them because they think they are being nice and enemies send them because they know they are being mean. They know that one Nuts and Chews assortment can penetrate the fortress of my willpower with surgical precision.


Oh sure, I start off strong, telling myself I will only eat the ones I truly, madly, deeply love. The dark chocolate covered almond clusters, and then the caramel and almond two layered jobbie that is half dressed in chocolate. But my standards lower as fast as my favorite chocolates disappear from the box (and reappear on my thighs and butt). I know I have reached rock bottom when I find myself nibbling just the dark chocolate coating off of the marshmallows which I normally disdain. I kind of like the fact too that they don’t come with a diagram of what each chocolate is. That way I can rationalize having 5 or 6 because I didn’t know what was in each one and, turns out the first 5 weren’t the one I was looking for.


Luckily, most of my friends don’t live within range of See’s Candies so I don’t find myself a prisoner to the Nuts & Chews too often. My enemies too are few and frugal so that isn’t too much of a concern.

But what about my twin sister? Last Christmas she called from the mall to inform me there was a temporary See’s Candies kiosk set up and did I want some? I said yes but no and under no circumstances was she to get any for me. So she complied. However, last month she returned from San Diego and handed me a box of Nuts & Chews. E tu brute?

No comments: