Monday, October 13, 2008

De-bunking bunk bed myths

Sure, it sounds like a great idea. Get your kids a bunk bed, or as in our case, your kid a loft bed, which is a bunk bed but without the second bed underneath. They save space, they are considered cool by all kids and for me at least, they make up for the fact that I never got one growing up, despite incessant begging and whining.

However, the realities of living with bunkbeds when you are the one who has to change the sheets, is something very different altogether. Maybe being a circus star would come in handy when you must precariously perch yourself on the edge of the top bed and lift up the mattress without falling off, in order to get the fitted sheet around the mattress. The same goes for tucking in the top sheets and any blankets. Suddenly that bunk bed I wanted when I was a kid doesn't seem so fun. As I wrestle with the mattress and try to maintain my balance, I realize that I should have brought the top sheet and comforter up there with me too so I wouldn't have to crawl up and down several more times like a monkey on a mission for more bananas (though I will need one of those to reenergize soon).

Yes, I have tried getting my son involved in helping make the bed. This is only marginally less cumbersome and more efficient. His bed is in the corner of the room, so one of us (guess who?) has to perch on the wall end of the bed, with zero room to manuever, and fix our side of the bed without hurling off the bed. It doesn't help that my son keeps trying to get on the mattress to fix his side, making it impossible for me to then raise up my side.

So, the reality is that his bed sheets get changed a little less often than the others. I rationalize this by calling it my green initiative. I am thinking of putting up a sign like you see in the bathrooms of hotels, only a bit more realisitic. "In an effort to preserve our precious environment and your mother's spinal cord, these sheets will only be changed if they are placed on the floor." I know that the chances that he will actually strip his own bed are equivalent to the chances of Ralph Nader winning the election, so I will get around to changing the sheets when I get there, and meanwhile, I will hide behind the green revolution, saving money, time, resources and a trip to the ER.

5 comments:

Beth said...

wow . . . I was planning on getting my son a loft bed when we re-did his room . . . now, I'm re-thinking that whole idea!!!

Kerrie McLoughlin said...

OMG, you are so right! thankfully my boys sleep TOGETHER on the bottom bunk for the time being. but the top bunk action STINKS ... especially since i like to put a waterproof cover on first.

TheKerrieShow.blogspot.com

Cassandra said...

For some reason I never thought of this!!!
Thanks for blogging this and keeping me in touch with bunk bed reality. ;)

Mom of Five said...

Too funny! You are in my BlogHer headline group, so I thought I would pop over and comment. Our sons have bunk beds that we bunked for one day, then, realizing the inevitable ER visits, immediately unbunked them. They are soooo much easier to make up on the floor.

JCK said...

Loved reading this post on BlogHer. I am with you!